Friday, December 30, 2011

Is it wise to reason.......

I have been pondering this for a few weeks now. To reason: ask.com defines it as this...a term that refers to the capacity human beings have to make sense of things, to establish and verify facts, and to change or justify practices. .[1] It is closely associated with such characteristically human activities as philosophy, science, language, mathematics, and art, and is normally considered to be a definitive characteristic of human nature.[2] The concept of reason is sometimes referred to as rationality and sometimes as discursive reason, in opposition to "intuitive reason".[3]

Reason or "reasoning" is associated with thinking, cognition, and intellect. Reason, like habit or intuition, is one of the ways by which thinking comes from one idea to a related idea. For example, it is the means by which rational beings understand themselves to think about cause and effect, truth and falsehood, and what is good or bad.

In contrast to reason as an abstract noun, a reason is a consideration which explains or justifies some event, phenomenon or behaviour.[4] The ways in which human beings reason through argument are the subject of inquiries in the field of logic.


The "reason" I bring all this up is because I have been going through "something"....I am not sure what but I am trying to reason out some things. I also have been trying to reason with my 2 almost 3 year old daughter. I know, I know, you can never reason with a child, but I so want to understand what she is thinking and WHY she is doing some of the things she is doing,( aside from the fact that she is a sinner in need of a savior) and it is driving me nuts!!! I love her to pieces....too much sometimes, some might say, but I am so weary of trying to understand!!! I am new to this parenting thing and at times have been overly sensitive in my approach and reception of council. I don't want to do that. I want to fear God above ALL men and rest in knowing that HE has handpicked me to be the mom of these 2 girls.

I used to pride myself on being a "why" child....it was sometimes seen as a lack of submission and sometimes seen as all out rebellion,....which I am sure at times it was....but often times, it is a genuine sense of wonder and a desire to understand. I know that as a child of God, I don't need or have to question God because ALL HE does is for my good and HIS glory and this I believe with all my heart. But, I digress....what got me thinking about all this reasoning, is over the course of the last few days, Gracelyn has REALLY come into toddlerhood!!! We have seen her as smart and a quick learner, so naturally, we have assumed that she would KNOW why she does what she does, but, she is no different than me really. She does what she does because she desires to please her own flesh.....even if she doesn't know it!!! So, when she smears baby lotion all over herself from head to belly and I ask her why, she proudly replies...."because I did"!!!! Oy, Help me Lord. This has been my cry over the past few days as I have been wrapping my mind around the new year and the joy of the upcoming arrival of baby #2...Help me Lord....Help me to Love these kids the way that You love me. Help me to honor YOU in my marriage and in my parenting. Help me to show Jesus to a watching world but first to my kids. Help, me Father, to stay out of the way as You work in the hearts of my kids. Help me, Lord to point my kids to You at every turn. Help me to fear You MORE THAN ANYTHING. Help me to rest and trust in YOU alone....

There is a song our choir used to sing....I didn't love it the first time I heard it but it keeps going through my mind...I don't remember what it was called but it was an acapella piece.. and the words were: Help me Jesus, Oh help me Jesus...Help me Jesus Oh help me LORD! THIS is my cry!


No comments: