Friday, February 1, 2013

First Review

Okay, here are MY thoughts on the first book I have read this year:

"Fierce Women" The Power of a Soft Warrior  by Kimberly Wagner

First let me say that I love this book because my dear friend gave it to me.  The book was fine.  To me, there was no "new material" for me....but I praise God for that, because I am well taught at my church.  Now, I do not always apply all that I learn but, I am blessed.  This book was an easy read.  There were some good points to be taken and there were some thought provoking statements made.  One thing that I did like was at the end of every chapter, there is a Heart Issues section where the reader is challenged to think in a biblical way about certain issues.  

Those that know me well might laugh at this coming from ME, but, I did struggle with the emotion that she seemed to be writing with.  I have had the pleasure of meeting this author and I have been in several settings with her so, I know this to be true to her character but for me, it was over the top at times.  Also, some of the terminology was.....hmmm how do I say it?  Let me give an example...."Whippin my man into shape"....  The critiques are personal to me....these thing may not bother anyone else.  

Here is one thing though, that I did take away.  I have never seen these acronyms before and I like them;

APPRECIATION (how to love your husband well)
Admire and Affirm
Put yourself in his skin
Pray like you mean it
Release your inner prisoner
Encourage his leadership
Contentment
Invest in him
Accept him
Intimate connections 
Only a word
Never give up

Also,
HALT  (Restrain your words or even shut your mouth when you are:
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

There were also some compare and contrast sections in the book:  Characteristics of a Beautifully fierce woman.....How Grace Affects a Fierce Woman.....Patterns of Pride.....  Just to name a few.
I have no problem recommending this book.  Like I said, it was an easy read and worth the time.  It had some stuff in it that I did not agree with but these issues are preference.  Like I said, a dear friend gave it to me so I will always love the book because of that.  Give it a read and let me know what you think!
 

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

I have this loaded on my iPad and will read it soon. Can't wait to see what I find.