Tuesday, October 15, 2013

God is SO kind, and good, and .............

Okay, so the other day, I was asking for recommendations for books on anger and stress that were written from a Christian perspective.  I know of a few out there but was wondering if there were others that I had missed.  Of course, there is ALWAYS a back story and I guess I will post that later, but what I wanted to share in this post will come first!  So, I got a few responses to my question but I wanted to begin reading right away, (instant gratification, anyone?) Now, I have two bookcases of books in my bedroom, which are full of great books.....in recent months, I have gotten rid of almost all of my fiction ones and mostly just have non-fiction.....(I want to get some new fiction but just have not taken the time to look at new authors).

Anyway, I was just searching through my shelf when this one popped out:  How Can I Change? victory in the struggle against sin....C.J. Mahaney and Robin Boisvert.

C.J. Mahaney????  Yes please!  So, here is how Kind and gracious the Lord is to me.  I opened the book and here is what I read:
Chapter 1:  Caught in The Gap Trap
The co-author begins by saying" All those who are struggling with anger, please come forward, we would like to pray for you."  He goes on to say that a few humble came forward that day.  It was not so much a surprise to him that any came forward, what was the surprise to him is that MOST of the people who came forward were mothers of young children!  He jokes that he often hears that anger is an occupational hazard for most mothers.  He then goes on to say that these women fall into the gap trap.....hmmm?  curious?  I was....
Gap-trap:"  a gap between the biblical standard of self-control and our own failure to live up to that standard.  Whether fear, anger, worry or laziness we have all experienced that gap of where we are and where we are should be."

Now, lest you think this is a feel good book, let me say, I am just a few chapters into it and yes, it has been a HUGE encouragement to me but also a challenge as I am looking head on into my own sin.  But, one phrase that I have used often is "I know what I should be doing, I am just not sure HOW to get there"....on pg 2,the co-author says, "....if so, we are confident this book can show you how to close the gap between who you should be in Christ and who you are in actual practice."

Oh this book is rich!  It is good.....it is a great reminder of WHOSE I am and what Christ has accomplished for me.  Yes, I am sinful.  And, the chapter that I read this morning reminded me of how little I value holiness and how easily I can shrug off sin but that is NOT the christian way.  That is not the way to holiness.  One more quote and then I will be done for today....

" I have often heard it said, "If I had been the only person on the earth, Jesus would still have died for me."  Although our Lord could have given his life for just one person, it most certainly would not have been because that person  was so valuable , but because God was so gracious.......When faced with that reality, we ought to weep for the selfless sacrifice of our Lord instead of finding in it one more opportunity for feeling good about ourselves."  Dan Matzat

Good stuff here!

  

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

I read this book in the last year. It is a great one!