Monday, July 15, 2013

Chapter 1/Part 1

Chapter 1: Part 1
Conflicts with God

At first glance, I was unsure of what this title would entail.  I really was not comfortable with this title.  I mean, who in their right mind would confess to having a conflict with God???!!!  Ahhh stay tuned, I learned a lot in this section.  First of all, again, we are hit with a precious gem of scripture....Heb 4:15-16.  It reminds us that we do not have a great high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weakness, but one who has been tempted in EVERY way.....and then we are told, that we can approach the throne of Grace with confidence so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.  Which, is a huge comfort to me seeing as I seem to be in a constant state of need!

Also, in this section,  the author reminds us that "a mere head knowledge of theology often fails to accomplish real change in our lives."  I remember a time not long ago, when I would explain something to a person and say "I feel like there is a road block from my head to my heart."  "I know what I should be doing, yet, I can't get myself there."  For me often, this is what I experience:  I KNOW what I know but, I have not claimed what I know to be working in my life to change me.  I am often guilty of possessing head knowledge but never letting it get to my heart to do its best work!  

David Powlison reminds us in this part, "People change when biblical truth becomes more loud and vivid than previous life experience."  Wow, that was a great reminder for me.  
On page 27, the author talks about our ultimate relationship (with God) and how conflicts often arise when we experience a disconnect between our confessional theology (what we profess to believe about God) and our practical theology (what we actually think and live).  Because relationships clearly demonstrate our practical theology, biblical truth must deeply penetrate our hearts if we are to experience relationships of shalom. 

Have I said that there is much to chew on?  Oh man, how I long to be changed.  How I desire to be known as a peacemaker.  But really the heart of this is:  my relationship with the peace GIVER!  Jesus Christ himself.  It is NOT enough that He knows me....I MUST know Him and in order to do that, I must choose Him and spend time with Him so that I can be changed.  Just like Powlison states, Biblical truth MUST become more loud and vivid to me in order to drown out previous life experience.  

I am praying that I will not only "survive" reading this book :)  But that I will grow and thrive as well!

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

Love your thoughts! I hope to blog about chapter one today. Tough words to chew on!