Saturday, July 13, 2013

Peacemaking Women

Oh how I wish I were a great finisher!  I love to start.  I love the start of a new school year, a new project, a new recipe....a new whatever, but often I don't finish well and I HATE that!  So, I am trying to finish several things well.  One thing I am trying to finish well is several books that I have started.  Earlier this year, I listed a bunch of books that I was going to read and review and I think I did two or three.  That was pretty good!  But, I have been missing something.....accountability! 

 I have this great group of friends.  We have been friends for years now and have really been through lots of things.  We have seen each other through, births and deaths, we have seen each other through surgery and job loss, adoption and graduation.  You name it, and we have probably prayed for one another about it.  We also USED to read books together, and I loved it.  I loved the different thoughts that we shared and the accountability that reading together brought. 

At the very beginning of Summer, after our group met, a friend and I discussed the possibility of reading a book together and we tossed it out to the rest of the group.  I am not sure who all wants to read it but I know that I do and at least one friend does as well.  So, I guess here is where I will post and process and she will do the same on her blog.  Not only do I NEED to read this book, I WANT to read it and really, this group of women is one group that I would love to read it with.

To be honest, when my friend and I talked about books, there were others that I thought of first.  One book that my friend kept talking about, sounded really good to me.  But, God knew, this is the book we both needed to read.  

Peace Making Women by Tara Klena Barthel and Judy Dabler
I am SLOWLY reading this book, chewing on every word!!!  So, I have read the intro and first chapter.  I will just talk about the intro in this post.

Introduction:
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way.  The Lord be with all of you. 2 Thess 3:16
First off, what a comfort to know that my Lord is the Lord of peace and able to give me peace at all times and in every way.....I WANT to be a woman at peace, of peace and able to impart peace to those around me......in order to do that, I MUST know this Lord!!!

On page 14, the author says, "We know intellectually that Jesus is all we need, and yet we clamor for more.  We lust after the desires of our hearts....Though we may have great wisdom in many areas of life, we sometimes relate to others like unbelievers."  Okay, let me just close this book RIGHT NOW, I am done!!! 

The Hebrew word for peace, Shalom, is a rich word encompassing far more that the absence of conflict.  Where there is Shalom, life is good and sound.  Just let that soak in for a minute.....where there is Shalom, life is good and sound.  Who does not want a good and sound life??  I know I do!  The author goes on to say that Shalom is often described according to the threefold model of :
peace with God
peace with others
peace within

Why should we be peacemaking women?
Christ Compels us
pg 17.....She says, "We reflect the nature of God when we are slow to anger, quick to forgive, and filled with love and faithfulness."



God is the first and ultimate peacemaker

God enables us to be peacemaking women
"We become true peacemakers through repentance, faith, and rightful worship of God alone.  We are ambassadors of peace when we trust in God's grace, count others as better than ourselves, bear one another's burdens and forgive our offenders.  In short, we are peacemaking women  when we drink so deeply of the peace of God that it becomes a lasting part of us and the motivating factor in all we do and say."

Here is where I really got hit between the eyes:  on page 19, the author, Judy describes a time that her mother confronted her and said this, " Judy, when you leave a room, you leave behind bleeding and wounded people."
I thought, Oh dear Lord, how many times is this true of me?  Often I am sad to say.  So, as I am reading this book and chewing on it, this is ONE thing that I continue to reflect on.  What wounds am I leaving?  I am excited to press on, to dig out the biblical hope that is there.  I am going to have a love/hate relationship with this book but by the Grace of God, I will come out a more peaceable women when I am finished!

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

Great post! I have a love/hate relationship with this book -- again. Thanks for reading it with me!