Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chapter 3 Suffering

Oh where to begin in this chapter......

The first thing that resonated with me was : Suffering tempts us to doubt the goodness of God....but, IF I am humble and seeking him daily and often times minute by minute, I am able to speak truth to myself and fight this temptation.  Now, I don't do it well often, but by Gods grace, I am growing.  

The question of suffering is a huge topic in many circles today...the author tells us that the bible is not silent on the topic of suffering, but, there is no simple answer as to why we suffer...

We are reminded that:
We are fallen people living in a fallen world
God uses suffering to lovingly discipline us
Suffering conforms us to Christ
Suffering grows our faith
Suffering deepens our relationship with God

And then we are introduced to different kinds of suffering:
Fallenness
Loss
Betrayal ( In this section, the author reminds us that "we dehumanize ourselves if we cut ourselves off from others even though it is risky to love"..) I had to think about this one for a bit because I have had times where I have felt it would be "better" or "easier" if I would just cut people off....maybe for a time, to take a break when there is great conflict, there is wisdom in that, but I guess totally cutting people off is really only self serving...
Complex pain:  another reminder to me in this section..David Powlison reminds us" Knowledge of a person's history may be important for many reasons(compassion, understanding, knowledge of characteristic temptations), but it never determines the heart's inclinations."  Just another reminder to me that I need to listen more and talk less....Thank I do not always have to be the one to correct, admonish or challenge a friend....I can just listen and love.
Those we love suffer
Hopelessness

How Others Help Us
Two things we can not give ourselves:  encouragement and comfort....we need other people!  I need others in my life...even if it means conflict.
Shared Grief   (In sharing the suffering of another person, there is a time for loving silence) ugh!  I fail often
Biblical Hope
Wise Counsel (one of the most important things we can do while suffering is seek godly counsel....wise counsel helps us to glorify God....we can glorify God in suffering, by knowing Him, trusting Him and Obeying Him

Some Gentle Warnings
Sometimes people let us down....this seems like a duh! statement, but it is true....Lord let this NOT be true of me....I have been let down and I am sure I have let others down and when I think about it, it makes me sad....
Don't give up....run toward not away!  This is such a good reminder to me...especially in marriage.  I often will run away emotionally and it really just causes more conflict....i need to remember to run to the Lord and toward the person I am in conflict with
Be Merciful
To enter into another's suffering is a precious gift

Suffering Well
Remember God is with you
Resist bitterness ....we suffer well when we DECIDE by faith not to be bitter toward those who have caused our suffering
Trust that God is Sovereign
Compare Correctly
Persevere:  The Grace to persevere to the end depends on our absolute commitment to continually feed on Jesus as our bread of life
Stay fixed on eternity

Some good thoughts in this chapter.....another reminder that we MUST know the one who knows us and made us.  It is not and can not be enough to say we belong to HIM....to know WHO He is is what will ultimately allow us to suffer well....and to have a few close friends who will walk the journey with you and will give wise counsel and pray is a HUGE blessing.  I am blessed to have a few of those friends in my life.  And, I long to be that kind of friend.  This book is LONG and it is tough....but God is gracious and is gentle in revealing my sin bit by bit and little by little because HE KNOWS ME  and knows that I would not be able to survive if it all was shown to me at once!
 


 

No comments: