Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another Great Book

So many wonderful books to read, I wish I had all the time in the world. I can not complain, I do have a lot more time than some people I know so.....Well, this latest book is one that I have known about for some time, but just recently saw it on a clearance rack at one of my favorite stores....The book " E.M. Bounds on Prayer" Wow, so convicting and eye opening. I am so guilty of anemic prayers...the Lord has been so gentle in bringing these things to my mind as I have read this book. The chapters are short and fairly easy to digest. Do not get me wrong...there is a lot of thought provoking stuff here not to be taken lightly, but a great read. Here is some of what I read today:

A quote by Fenelon- " In God's name, I beseech you, let prayer nourish your soul as your meals nourish your body. Let your fixed seasons of prayer keep you in God's presence through the day, and may His presence frequently remembered through it be an ever fresh spring of prayer. Such a brief, loving recollection of God renews a man's whole being, quiets his passions, supplies light and councel in difficulty, gradually subdues the temper, and causes him to possess his soul in patience, or rather gives it up to the possession of God."
Bounds says: " Thus in every circumstance in life, prayer is the most natural outpouring of the soul, the unhindered turning to God for communion or direction. Whether in sorrow or in joy, in defeat or victory, in weakness or in health, in calamity or in success, the heart leaps to meet with God, just as a child runs to his mother's arms, ever sure that her sympathy will meet every need." He goes on to talk about prayer as a habit and our lack of prayer. He says, " The explanation of our thoughtlessness or forgetfulness lies in the fact that prayer, with so many of us, is a form of selfishness; it means asking for something for ourselves-that and nothing more. And from such an attitude, we need to pray to be delivered."
Father, I confess that I do lack such a prayer life that would bring you ultimate glory. Please forgive me for my selfish attitudes and lazy habits during prayer. I want to grow in that way..to pray without ceasing and to reach your ear at all times praying in your will and standing ready to receive your answer. Lord, you work all things to our good and to your ultimate glory which is and should be our goal and desire in prayer. Lord, thank you for eyes to see these great books, a head and heart that can reason with the words, and an understanding of what must be done to grow more into your likeness. Thank you Father, that prayer is that intimate connection with You and because of what Christ did on the cross Lord, I am able to enter into fellowship with You. Lord may it never be taken for granted.
Amen

No comments: